View Single Post

Old 02-21-2017, 10:19 AM
US Veteran

Liked 32,369 Times in 5,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrano View Post
My Colt SAA is SN 325XXX which dates to 1913, so it didn't go up San Juan Hill with the Rough Riders.
One of mine (1914 SAA-Frontier Six Shooter .44-40) is serial number 329XXX, shipped to El Paso, Texas on March 30, 1915. I'm sure they would all be able to tell lots of stories, if they could talk.

While smokeless powder was in common use before 1910, many people continued to use black powder ammunition for years. Corrosive mercuric primers remained common until the 1950's. My point is that these older guns were subjected to some potentially damaging elements for decades. Repairs and parts replacement were common. Parts (barrels, cylinders, hammers, and others) changed continually throughout SAA production history. Gunsmith training and practices were anything but uniform or standardized, so different methods and skill levels will be seen frequently.

They are all still interesting and desirable. While a 100 year old SAA in original condition and finish would be a thrill to encounter it could also require a second mortgage to own. Revolvers like the OP's are far more common and much more affordable, while also being great display pieces and shooters.

Several years ago I came to own a 1957 Second Generation SAA that had been highly modified by a previous owner. Originally a .45 Colt, the barrel was horrible and the cylinder was unsafe. Took me a year but I located all needed parts to restore the revolver, but it became a .357 because that caliber was what I found both cylinder and barrel available in. Great shooter now and still a sought after piece on the market.

Great old Colt. Enjoy it!
The Following 3 Users Like Post: