View Single Post

Old 02-21-2017, 03:30 PM

Liked 2,249 Times in 1,032 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise_A View Post
Remember that thing I said about game theory? Same deal.

For me, carrying with a loaded chamber has no downside. I'm confident with it. Cheap, too!

What about this ECQ stuff you keep going on about? Okay, great--are you going to pay for my classes? How about my travel and lodging? Time off from work? I'm not married, but maybe for some of these other guys, you can write nice letters to their wives explaining why they need to watch the kids solo for a few days, maybe a week.

How about just practicing this stuff? Super--go find me a range within 150 miles of my current location with the facilities to allow me to do this. I'll wait.

If you feel I'm dismissive of you--and trust me, you'll know it when I am--then it's because you're advocating very expensive, hard-to-acquire training, when most people don't have the fundamentals down. And when I say, "fundamentals", read that as "basic handgun operation" and "remembering to turn the safety off".

People do not have unlimited resources, but it's very "in" to act like they do. So whether I hear the words "Simunition" or "Everyone should go to Gunsite!" or any one of a thousand other buzzwords and hard sells, I struggle not to be dismissive.

If you think I'm failing, sorry.

---

Now, this thread was about some dope managing to shoot a lady in a Dunkin Donuts. Wanna get back on topic? We can seek unity in our mutual derision of that mook.
I wasn't the one who brought up C3 carry and there were numerous posts addressing it, so I don't see it being off topic. I can't comment too much regarding the ND in the OP's story since I still don't know what precisely happened. It was you who introduced the "ECQ stuff". You didn't use the terminology, but it's the same thing nonetheless.

The downside of carrying with a loaded chamber is greater risk of unintentional discharges. There should be no disputing that the possibilities are higher with a C1 vs a C3 gun since having one with the latter is impossible. Most of us feel that the increased risks vs potential benefits ratio favor C1, but not everyone feels the same and I wouldn't say they are necessarily wrong.

While direct instruction is ideal, I think you can learn via other means. A lot of schools and instructors have put out numerous DVDs, books and offer distance learning programs and are pretty accessible online via phone, email, video chat and conferencing etc. for questions and additional information. A lot of them even put instructional videos on YouTube for free.

A reasonably intelligent person, especially one who already has had some training can definitely learn this way. Even running crude, but properly conducted drills using airsoft with like minded friends will offer benefits and increase understanding. The same applies with simply watching real footage of actual incidents. The bulk of ECQ training doesn't involve live fire, so it's actually cheaper than simply going into the range. More beneficial overall as well IMO. A lot of the classes and seminars I've attended over the years didn't offer much individual attention and instruction, so were not really much better than simply watching a video of the same material.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: