View Single Post

Old 02-22-2017, 12:03 AM
Banned

Liked 4,324 Times in 1,793 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikld View Post
Perhaps intelligent rather than lucky? Why would anyone choose a firearm the has a reputation for fussiness?

Lucky? Nope. Maybe I keep my toys clean and in good working order?
Because you do a thing called competition, and some of those fussy, picky, choosy firearms are truly excellent. Even if you don't, some are just a joy to own.

Take the High Standard Supermatic. I'll admit, I don't get this one, but some guys just can't let 'em go. Never mind the fact that the bloody thing doesn't have a feed ramp, so if your magazines (they start at $50 a piece) get a lip bent even just a teensy bit, they just don't feed. I'm told by those with the taste for them that they're excellent.

Or how about the Feinwerkbau AW-93? If you let me have one of those, and told me all I had to do was buy the expensive and hard-to-get Wolf SK Match ammo it needed...whooh! I'd snatch it up in a heartbeat.

Or the Pardini SP-22. The Walther GSP. The Benelli MP95E (or the 90S!). The Hammerli 208 and 280 and SP20. The S&W Model 41.

Or Nelson Custom uppers, with parts manufactured by Macmillan of all places, riding on custom, hand-built 1911 lowers.

Why? They're worth the fiddling, and the ammo, and every other damn thing. Shooting them is a joy.

But hey--there's no accounting for taste.