View Single Post

Old 02-22-2017, 02:01 PM

Liked 1,044 Times in 428 Posts

This one started off as a "loaded" model Springfield Operator I picked up for around $600 when they were first released - no frills other than Novak sights and a rail for my light, as it was going to be a duty weapon. This was back when they started with the full length rails...wish I stockpiled a few of those, but that's another story..

Anyway, a few years back, it went back to the Springfield Custom Shop where Dave Williams and crew built it into what I wanted. Basically turned it into my version of the FBI HRT Professional series pistols, but with the addition of a threaded barrel for when I want to use a suppressor (no, not at work...for plinking since I have a .45 muffler that I can rotate among a few other pistols as well). I sent in the pistol with a bunch of parts, a wish list and let them go at it. It took a while, so long I honestly forgot about it, but it was well worth the wait. By far the most reliable, accurate and pleasant to shoot, +p loads and all, 1911 I've used. I still remember the day Dave Williams called from the shop saying the front sight of the set I sent in wouldn't work for point of aim and that he'd custom made a front sight to work with my duty ammunition. That's customer service! All internals upgraded, tightened slide to frame, hand checkered 25LPI front strap, checkered rear of slide to reduce glare, undercut trigger guard, Birdsong Black T finish. With hot duty loads, it's runs like a sewing machine. With standard 230gr ball ammo, it shoots so easy you can almost feel the slide go to the rear and forward again....sort of a chunk chunk for each round. Is it the last gun I will ever part with? No. Is it the best 1911 I have if I knew a fight was coming? Yes.

Last edited by inspcalahan; 02-22-2017 at 02:02 PM.
The Following 12 Users Like Post: