View Single Post

Old 02-23-2017, 12:59 PM

Liked 99 Times in 23 Posts
Default Need Info on Used .44 Magnum (Pre-Model 29)

Hey Guys,

I have an opportunity to purchase a Pre-Model 29 .44 Magnum and wanted to get your opinion on this.

Serial number is S1696xx. My research into S&W serialization yielded somewhat imprecise data but my Fjestad Blue Book stipulates that this weapon is a four screw model and was shipped during 1957 or 1958 (probably 1957 as serial numbers for this variant started with S167600). I am assuming that Fjestad is an accurate source for year of manufacture by serial number, yes?

I will go back to the gun shop this morning and take some photos for you (I forgot my cell phone!) and measure the barrel length and determine the number of screws. I will also thoroughly examine this revolver using my 15-point Revolver Pre-Buy Checklist and report back.

The gun has no dings, dents or deep scratches that I could see, other than the usual cylinder ring. I was impressed with the high quality of the metal polishing, almost mirror like. There was quite a bit of wear to the bluing, however - from memory I would estimate the finish as maybe 85%. Could not examine the bore as the action was zip tied, but I will. Again, will post photos later.

The gun comes with a wooden box, which has no damage per se but has much finish wear and lots of scratches and some small dings. The interior plastic has condition issues - some deterioration but I'd say 85-90 percent remaining. This item is not really very presentable. No paperwork that I saw (I will ask about that) and the only accessory in the box is the common small S&W screwdriver.

They are asking $1500. What do you think?

Thanks in advance for your opinion, guys. I appreciate your expertise!
LongColt45