View Single Post

Old 02-25-2017, 02:32 AM

Liked 99 Times in 23 Posts
Default Conclusions Thus Far

The Grips:

I have spent several hours today researching just S&W grips, attempting to educate myself on this complex topic. This is not my first rodeo buying used revolvers, but when it comes to vintage S&W's (which I've always had a powerful affinity for), I am quickly realizing I am in over my head and need lots of expert advice. Clearly, I've come to the right place.

The best single reference I have found on S&W grips was on here this forum: (click here to see it).

The general consensus on that thread supports Doc44's statement that the correct grips for "my" 44 Magnum should be Cokes. That thread also has references to rare but not unheard of occasions in the 1950's when S&W would substitute older in-stock parts during periods of transition from one phase of manufacture to another. Could this have happened with "my" grips? As probably the least experienced poster on this thread, I don't feel qualified to hazard a guess on that. However, it seems weird that someone would replace Cokes with non-relieved walnut targets, unless the Cokes got damaged; and, since the non-relieved walnut targets pre-date the Cokes (if I am understanding Doc44 correctly), then that replacement likely happened way back in the day when the walnut targets were still available.

Makes my head swim. Don't even get me started on presentation cases ... Anyway, I go back to the LGS tomorrow and check out the back of the grips, check on the ratchet pins for Nightowl, ask if there's any original paperwork, etc. I'll post what I find.

Thanks again, guys. Great forum.