View Single Post

Old 02-27-2017, 12:16 PM
US Veteran

Liked 5,703 Times in 1,409 Posts
Default True experience from Charlotte Jan 17, 2017

Hello Forum,

The following just happened to me, very recently.

I was assigned by my company to attend a Seminar/Symposium being given at the Hilton Downtown in Charlotte NC. I was not a presenter, however was required to attend the various sessions. Since the Hilton Hotel was both where we stayed, and the venue for the Symposium, I left my EDC locked in the car until I checked in. The CPZ signs are clearly posted at all entrances, and again at the desk.

I did not notice any scanners or detectors, but also since I was going to be attending the sessions and manning my companies table top display ( dress shirt, coat, etc.) I left my EDC in the car for the first days activities.

Wouldn't you know it! That same night myself and 2 other guys from our company went to one of the best steakhouses in Charlotte, Mortimer & Sheck (sp?) and had a terrific dinner/drinks and all. Since it was only a block and a half from the Hilton, we had walked. Coming out about 9:30 - 10:00 we had only made a few steps and a shaggy looking dude (pants falling off, etc.) fell right into step behind us. followed us through 3 lights, we turned, he turned, we stopped to look in a window, he stopped. I was aware and so were my companions, so we went into another establishment, maybe half a block from the Hilton entrance, however it would be 1 more right turn. The dude came right into the establishment, and just hung out by the door, so we got up to leave, and the dude bolts out the door, and literally runs around the corner, turning right the exact path we would be taking.

Not knowing what his intentions, or what buddies he may have around the corner, we ducked back into where we were, asked the bartender if he had seen the guy, and he said "looks like bad news" and suggested we simply go out his back entrance which was also the entrance to the Hilton.

So....it worked, we got back. Next morning a man who had been stabbed sometime the night before was found on the front (plaza) side entrance to the Hilton....right where we would have gone.

A bunch of circumstances, or coincidences? Beats the heck out of me....but the rest of that entire event, my EDC was where it belongs.....4 o'clock on my belt.

Kick me out of the Conference, call the cops, take my EDC...fine...I'll have to deal with it, but I really don't feel like having another experience like above, and yes.....at the SWCA Symposium in Concord, I am definitely going to make time to get back to that steak house.....but this time...I guarantee you, I'll be feeling a lot safer.

Just my two cents.
SWCA#3083, SWHF#570
The Following User Likes This Post: