View Single Post

Old 02-28-2017, 06:47 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Lot of posters on this thread don't seem to be reading all the comments prior to posting suggestions.

And update to my previous post in this thread:

I've since sent the .45 Shield back to S&W for a second time. The first time they replaced the mag catch, the second time, they replaced it again and gave me new followers to replace. After the second time it came back "fixed" it still dropped magazines.

Nothing stuck in the mag catch. Magazines were fully seated (please...). Multiple types and manufacturers of ammo were used. Fired the gun with one hand, so touching the mag release couldn't happen. Fired while an RSO watched. RSO fired the gun, too. I again rented the range's .45 Shield and fired it with no mag drops. The mag drops on my gun continued...

This is after S&W claimed it was fixed and tested, twice.

I noticed that the six round mag dropped between round 4 and 3, which is where the follower passes by the mag catch slot. I would load the six round mag full, get to the third round remaining, the mag would drop, and I'd add one round. Fire. The mag would drop again. Add a round, fire, mag would drop again. Add a round, fire, mag would drop again. Add a round, fire, mag would drop again. After I did this for 10-12 times, I decided I'd had enough.

Criticize me all you like, blame the fact there is a piece of paper in the mag catch spring, or claim I can't correctly place a magazine into a gun, but I've seen enough of the .45 Shield. I'm only passing this along so others can be aware and make up their own minds. Maybe there is a defect in the polymer grip, but I'm not going to own this gun long enough to find out if a fix comes in. With over 1,000 rounds through it, I can't afford to keep playing "see if S&W has fixed this gun."

As always, before you carry a carry gun, make double sure it operates correctly.