View Single Post

Old 03-01-2017, 01:27 AM
Absent Comrade

Liked 13,195 Times in 2,860 Posts
Default CS45 My take on it.

As a long time user of 3rd gen 45 and 9mm pistols there were a few models I rarely came across and didn't pay much attention to. The CS series in particular. Starting last year, I found myself in need of some pistols to use while teaching at the local indoor range. I was racking up significant round counts on my 3914 and 4513TSW guns. I needed a couple of accurate and reliable pistols that I wouldn't worry about putting a lot of wear on.

So, I got a CS9. Great little 9mm. Very reliable, great size for easy carry and concealment and very accurate too. I pressed it into service at the range letting new shooters who wanted to experience a sub compact 9mm give it a try. I also carried it quite a bit on my own time. Fantastic little pistol. And I started wondering........if the CS9 is working this well for me......and the CS45 is only a little bigger.....and a 45.....I may want to get hold of one. So I did.

I have a mixed history with the CS series guns. Back when I was carrying "premium" S&W pistols, there were a few non negotiable items I needed to have. One was a lug on the barrel and corresponding cut in the slide for tight lockup. None of that barrel hood locking up on the slide, for me. I also needed a grip where my pinkey didn't dangle below the mag base. I've since changed my opinion on the barrel lockup and found a solution to the smaller grip.

I first tried a CS9 back around 2009 - 2010. Yes, I was late to the party. I shot it some, carried it some and decided it didn't do anything that my 39XX series guns didn't do better. So I sold it to a fellow who really wanted one for his daughter. But after it was gone I ran into several situations where I wished I'd kept it. I decided to find another and KEEP that one. And I did.

The CS45 was another matter. The only one I ever came across in person had been damaged in a fall from a motorcycle. That little 45 literally had road rash on the slide and grips. And my pinkey didn't sit right on the grip. But it did feel very good in the hand and was slightly smaller and slightly lighter than my beloved early production 4513TSW. Which up until recently was my only EDC.

So back then I asked a few shops I did business with to find me a clean CS45. And nobody ever did. Years went by and I occasionally recalled the CS45 and lusted for one. I read all of FastBolts excellent posts on these guns. And it took me a few months to read all that! But I never came across a CS45 locally and folks seemed pretty proud of the ones on the auction boards. Until right before Christmas.

I found a clean CS45 with metal Novak sights and an ambi decocker set up. No mag and a low opening bid. So I bid and won it on Christmas day. Merry Christmas to me!

I spent the next 6 weeks wringing it out and getting use to the little pistol. Now keep in mind when I call the CS45 a little pistol, this is coming from someone who carried a 4506-1, 4566 and 4516 on and off duty for over a decade. I think Patrick Sweeney said that the CS45 was the smallest TDA 45 compact extant. And it is still a fairly good sized pistol. Perfectly sized for me. The Hogue grips fit my hand as if it were made for me. And I put some rounded baseplates from some 4513TSW mags on a couple of the CS45 mags and solved the dangling pinkey issue.

Several trips to the range were in order to test reliability prior to carrying the CS45 for serious purpose. 200 rounds Sellier 230 grain ball, 50 rounds Winchester 230 JHP, 100 rounds Speer 230 grain Gold Dot, 50 rounds RA45T and 150 rounds of 230 grain Federal were fired problem free. Accuracy was startling for such a diminutive 45. At 25 yards Winchester Ranger 230 JHP printed a 3 inch ragged hole. At 15 yards they printed a sub 2 inch group. I shoot the CS45 better than my 457 and 4566's. Its accuracy is on par with my 4513TSW. A very accurate and reliable little 45.

And everything I've ever read about the CS45 proved to be true. It is a very soft shooter. Those new shooters wanting.....insisting..to shoot a compact 45 have no problem with the CS45. Felt recoil is brisk but not unpleasant or unmanageable. Follow up shots are a breeze and a series of 5X5X5 drills (5 shots at 5 yards on a 5 inch circle as fast as you can obtain a flash sight picture and slap the trigger.) all resulted in A hits. I love this little 45!

This CS45 is the carry/teaching/competing/nightstand/car console gun I've been looking for for over a decade. Did I mention I love this gun?

I'm leaving the Hogue grips on. They really work well with this pistol. I'm sticking with the rounded baseplates on the mags too. I am shooting it a lot and ordered some spare recoil springs from Midway. Spare guide rod too. Just in case.

So if you get a chance to pick up a clean CS45 for a good price, don't hesitate. Especially if, like me, 45 is one of your favorite carry calibers. You will be glad you did. It is a GREAT little 45. Regards 18DAI