View Single Post

Old 03-01-2017, 08:21 PM

Liked 164 Times in 66 Posts
Default Idea for making a fixed front sight replaceable (warning: potentially insane)

I've been looking at ways to do a fiber-optic sight on a revolver with a fixed front ramp for a while and I think I might have found a way that hasn't been attempted yet. Unfortunately, this, like every other solution, requires permanent modifications to the firearm.

If anyone's seen a Ruger LCR front sight, it's essentially a "cap" that fits over a small nub on the front of the barrel and gets pinned in place:

Here's what the LCR looks like with its sight removed (not mine):

Now obviously I still need to do a lot of measuring, but it seems that you could cut and file the front ramp to replicate that "nub" and slide the new sight over it. After lots and lots of careful fitting, of course! Probably not a good idea for fixed rear sight guns since I don't know how high or low the new sight will be but it should work for adjustable sight guns.

Anyhow, just throwing it out there. Let me know if anyone's tried it or something similar. If only Weigand still made their front sight kit...

Last edited by matteekay; 03-01-2017 at 08:22 PM.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: