Thread: +P
View Single Post

Old 03-02-2017, 12:33 AM

Liked 29,251 Times in 13,831 Posts
Default Older funs won't have it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWalt View Post
I have never seen or heard of any gun being marked as +P. Unless yours is very old, there is no safety hazard in shooting +P ammunition occasionally, but it may put more stress on the gun and shorten its useful life. In most cases, there is NEVER a good reason for feeding any gun a steady diet of +P loads. As previously noted, there is also a +P+ load, but SAAMI does not recognize it in their chamber pressure standards. It is defined only as being greater than +P.
Older S&Ws won't have the +P on the barrel. This question comes up a LOT. It's smarter just to stamp it rather have people in doubt for 40 years. (+P has been around since around the mid 70's)

Smith says that any ALL STEEL gun with a model number can shoot +P ammo. This MAY NOT MEAN that it should be fired all the time with +P because it will increase the rate of wear. In other words, instead of a J frame Smith lasting for about 30,000 rounds, you will only get around 28,000 if you shoot continuous +P loads.,

Now some guns, like small and light, ALLOY framed guns will shake loose quicker with a steady diet of +P rounds. Which I can relate to because continuous +P through an alloy j frame gun makes ME shake loose a lot faster.

Last edited by rwsmith; 03-02-2017 at 12:35 AM.