View Single Post

Old 03-03-2017, 12:07 AM

Liked 181 Times in 108 Posts

First let me tell you my credentials before I go shooting off my mouth. Retired Police Sgt and FBI trained and certified in the following: Advanced firearms Training, Firearms Instructor, SWAT, and SWAT sniper. Almost any LEO will agree that over penetration is a big concern. The shape of the bullet isn't always going to tell you about penetration. A jhp will over penetrate if it is too powerful. I carry jhp rounds but they are not so fast that I worry about OP. I stick with slow moving big bore (45acp and Colt and 44 special) rounds that are around 200 gr and around 850/1000 FPS. Of course there is a chance of OP with these rounds but the bullet would probably slow down enough that it won't be a threat. When I carry a 357 I stick with Gold Dot ammo at 980 FPS. I'm confident in Gold Dots ability to expabd and not pass through. I have Gold Dot ammo for my other big bores also. You are correct to be concerned about OP in your carry ammo. What may be good for hunting may not be good for personal protection.