View Single Post

Old 03-03-2017, 12:56 AM

Liked 4,189 Times in 1,864 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie View Post
I am all for states rights and autonomy...except when it comes to this.
The hodge podge of laws between states as far as CCW is a nightmare.
It can far too easily make a criminal out of a decent law abiding citizen.
I don't even understand half of what this thread is talking about.
" If I move to a state, will my non resident permit be invalid?"
What? I'm not jumping on the poster of this. It's a crazy fact. I'm jumping on the states for making it so.
Can't we clean this up once and for all, and permanently?
@ Jessie,

The original intent was to question the value of a non-resident permit, when states that have reciprocity with the issuing state will only recognize the resident permits and not the non-resident permits.

It is not about my moving. I live in a "May issue state" that has a notorious reputation for not issuing permits. Being disabled, I feel like I have a neon sign over me identifying me as a potential victim. The ability to defend myself is paramount. I currently have two non-resident permits, which give me about 38 states that allow me to carry. However, when states begin to decline to recognize the non-resident permits, the ability to defend oneself diminishes. While the list is most likely longer, I know that Pennsylvania, Florida, and South Carolina will not recognize the non-resident permits of states that they have reciprocity with. When it was reported that delaware was joining the ranks of states not recognizing non-resident permits, I posted this thread.

When the national reciprocity legislation was initially introduced, the focus was on the honoring of resident permits issued by a state, not the non-resident permits. That is why I posted this thread. In many respects, the move to limit reciprocity to resident permits essentially disarms a class of armed citizen that has the misfortune to reside in a may issue or non-issuing state.