View Single Post

Old 03-05-2017, 09:51 PM

Liked 172 Times in 84 Posts

Interesting question the OP asked, and the honest answer for me is I have a rotation of three guns for EDC:

1. Colt Series 70 (heavily modifies to my likes).
2. SA Range Officer Compact 45 cal. (slightly modified)
3. S&W 340PD loaded with Speer 135gr +Ps.

I also have an M&P 45C that only goes in the rotation when I'm traveling.

I love shooting the 1911s, but the 340PD is another story. I have the advantage of shooting j frames since about 1968 therefore I've had a ton of practice with them. Shooting the 11.4 oz 340PD is fun to shoot for a short period of time. At 72 years old my hands aren't what they used to be for sure so what I do to make my 340PD shooting practice more enjoyable is I shoot it often, but not a lot of shots. I only shoot about half of a 50 round box of standard 38s each time I go to the range which is fairly often. That way the gun doesn't beat my old hands up. I'll have to say after practicing with my j frames for about 50 years, I'm pretty confident they will do the trick when called upon.

My recommendation is to shoot what you carry often, and have total confidence in anything you carry. If you don't like shooting your carry gun you won't shoot it often enough to get proficient, and if your not proficient with your carry gun....well you know the answer to that one.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: