View Single Post

Old 03-07-2017, 08:49 AM
US Veteran

Liked 5,703 Times in 1,409 Posts

Hello Forum

I reside in Virginia which is a "Shall issue State" and I got my CCW permit years ago by virtue of my Army DD 214, a set of fingerprints, a filled out App form, and my $50.00. Once signed off by the local County Sherriff it came by mail.

However, it does not exempt me from the background check if purchasing firearms.

My understanding of the Utah permit (comes from talking with the same local County Sherriff some years back) is that the Utah permit requires 4 hours actual classroom training (although I did hear very recently that it may now be on-line), and does (if granted) allow the holder of both, (a VA CCW and the Utah card) to be exempt from the State Police background check. The reason I was given was that the Utah data base is literally massive, and that it is reviewed entirely every 24 hours!

So....while one can get a VA CCW, good for 5 years, then the next day commit a felony, your VA CCW is still valid for 4 more years and 364 days. A Utah card however would get you (and the police) a official notice that you are revoked, and have 24 hours to surrender both the UT card and the VA CCW.

True in total or not I don't really know, just what I understood years ago, and still I was reminded even back then that recognition of, acknowledgement of, or honoring of out-of-State CCW permits, even with reciprocity agreements, is still up to the local officer on the scene, at the time of whatever has caused you to be present with your weapon in his/her jurisdiction.

So....I feel its the same old thing no matter where you are out of State. If travelling, I try to make sure I'm at least aware of the other States basic laws, but I also choose my EDC with the thought that if I do get it confiscated, or whatever...I don't have to worry too much about the loss.

Moral....don't use your one and only Registered Magnum as your EDC in other States!
SWCA#3083, SWHF#570