View Single Post

Old 03-08-2017, 09:24 AM

Liked 88 Times in 48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmithNWesson View Post
I must admit, i may not fully know how to read the data. But 13" seems fine (12" minimum) and the expansion and velocity numbers are high. I also figured that 13" would be good for self defense and reduce over penetration. Someone please correct me if i am wrong. Like i said i will probably pick up the 135gr also
According to the "FBI" they feel that 12-18" is the "ideal" range. Critical defense came up short of that. It also doesn't expand very much at all. Critical duty 135+P works well for barrier penetration similar to gold dot 124+P. I am not LEO so that criteria isn't as important to me. Most of these are designed around a full size duty weapon. The most consistent round that penetrates and expands from short, medium and long barrels is the 124 HST standard pressure. At least in my tests and everyone else. The 147 gr HST is great out of a "long" barrel. I have had a couple usually 2 out of 5 that will fail to expand using a short barrel.
As you are aware shot placement is everything. Approximately
36.5% are obese in America and close to 67% are overweight. It would make sense that deeper penetration around 16-18" would be ideal. Anyways shot placement rules over all others and there have been many shootings that resulted in fatalities with .22 and .380.
The Following User Likes This Post: