View Single Post

Old 03-09-2017, 11:20 AM

Liked 4,916 Times in 1,705 Posts

Started out carrying a Model 19 4" in 1970. About 1976 switched to a GM 1911 .45... Carried it till discovering the .38 Super in 1980s and have been carrying a Colt Commander in that caliber ever since.

Reasons:
10 rounds of close to .357 Magnum forepower in a ten shot 31 oz. loaded gun that is far more controlable than a light weight .357.

Very slim, slides inside the wasitband with or without a holster and stays comfortably in one spot all day long.

Fits my hand perfectly and hits where I look.

If I can't hide the Commander then the backup is a Kahr P380. Hides much better than a snubbie and has two more rounds. It is headshot accurate at 25 yards. With a nice smooth 6# DA trigger pull it is safe to carry with or without a holster. Also has excellent night sights...

If woods walking I will generally bring a revolver, either a Taurus Titanium Tracker or a 657 Mountain Gun...both in .41 Magnum. I used to often carry a .22 revolver or semi in the woods but after asking myself the question "What will I need this gun for?", it wasn't for hunting, it wasn't for plinking, it was going to be used for rabid animals, bear, moose, coyote, wolves, cougar and two legged vermin... I would have looked really stupid if I ran into a situation that needed a bigger gun when I had a whole safe full of them at home and just had carried a .22....

Bob