Thread: Speer 135 Gr SB
View Single Post

Old 03-09-2017, 12:28 PM

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida J Frame View Post
After reading through this interesting thread I emailed Speer again and this is what I came away with. The .38 +p and 357 are both below 1000FPS with the 135 SB bullet out of a 2" barrel. The 38+P with the 125 hits 945 out of a 4" and the 357 out of a 4" hits 1450. If you drive the 135 grain Gold Dot bullet too fast the petals bend back against the bullet which they call "over-expansion" and the bullet over-penetrates much like a FMJ. This is the reason they do not recommend the SB load in barrels over 4". I think a lot of the misunderstanding was with the terminology. I wouldn't call that over-expansion but Speer does. After it's all said and done, I plan to load the 5" with 125 Gr Personal Protection and the snubs with 135 Gr SB. Thanks for all the input. This forum is always interesting.
So, the "over expansion" actually results in overall smaller diameter when the petals bend too far back, creating the smaller hole, thus, leading to the "OVER Penetration" they talk about when fired thru the (higher velocity) longer barrels.

Thanks, that explanation clears up the confusion about the terminology used by Speer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 38splSB.jpg (1.8 KB, 190 views)

Last edited by Lightfoot30; 03-09-2017 at 12:39 PM.