View Single Post

Old 03-10-2017, 08:52 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 1,844 Times in 469 Posts

If we KNEW what our gunfight was going to look like we would know exactly what to carry.

Multiple assailants? I have not known of many John Wick or John McClane situations in real life, outside of war. Most conflicts will likely be with only one or two bad guys.

At 25 yards or so, the auto is preferred in a gun fight. One is much more likely to have to fire multiple rounds and a reload becomes more likely as well. Two hands and a proper hold can usually be implemented throughout the fight. The fight will not transcend into a grappling match or struggle for the weapon.

How about a fight at, say, THREE yards or so? Here an assailant may easily CLOSE with you, even after being shot. A revolver is significantly more reliable in such a situation and the reliability factor outweighs the firepower or reload aspects based on odds. The revolver is harder to take away from someone, and less likely to fail due to limp-wrist, muzzle contact, slide interference, etc. In a close fight, I'll take a revolver. Pull trigger, gun goes bang, reapply as necessary, use as impact weapon as needed.

So, most police and civilian gunfights happen, statistically, at what ranges? How many assailants? Most are within SEVEN yards and against ONE assailant. A police officer has help with him or on the way. The CCW holder will likely not make a call for help until after the situation has unfolded.

Statistically in a CCW scenario the advantage is with the wheelgun. I am highly skilled with revolvers and semi-autos and often carry either. I know that, as a civilian, a tense situation will likely devolve into a lethal situation at very close range. If a crystal ball showed such a common scenario to be "my" gunfight, I would very intentionally choose the revolver for practical and not emotional reasons.
The Following 5 Users Like Post: