View Single Post

Old 03-10-2017, 04:01 PM

Liked 580 Times in 140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphydog View Post
You present a somewhat challenging situation.

Are their sons or instructors available and willing to teach their parents safe gun handling skills? If not, I would agree with extra security measures but not any firearm. A lack of confidence or knowledge with firearms may be worse than not having them around to be stolen or taken away, with potentially lethal consequences.

If they are willing to have minimal basic training but no more, I would suggest a 20 gauge, single trigger, side-by-side double shotgun. Easy to load and unload, aim and fire. Any handgun would be more difficult to use, aim and place shots effectively. If they think an unloaded (or for that matter, a loaded) shotgun will go off by itself, I would go back to extra security measures. Good luck with helping them out.
Thank you sir, yes, their sons are available and willing to help them out. The gun they have belongs to one of them.

I thought about a SxS.
Keep unloaded with a stock sleeve with 6 rounds. Open, load and that's it.
Automatic safeties should be disabled though.

Pistols are out of the question because the lady cannot rack them.

And dogs, alarm system and bars on the windows are mandatory around here, unfortunately.. already got them covered.

Their dog is the laziest, least guarding labrador I've ever seen. I do agree on them getting a better guarding dog.

Tricky situation, isn't it?