View Single Post

Old 03-10-2017, 06:18 PM

Liked 3,247 Times in 1,007 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by diegobxr View Post
Hi everybody, If I may, I'd like to ask you for your valuable input on this subject.

This is the scenario:
Middle-aged (50's) marriage, their sons recently moved out of the house.
They are non-gun people, they never had or even fired a gun, but their sons do. They never wanted a gun before but they now understand times have changed and they now need one to protect themselves.

At the moment, they have a DA revolver, unloaded, in a safe, because it scares them to have it loaded and ready. (They were led to believe by the media that guns "go off", and "accidentaly discharge").

They feel more comfortable with a shotgun. They are not as intimidated by one, and know that a pump shotgun can be stored without a round in the chamber.

So:
- What firearm (if any) would you reccomend for this couple?

- What do you think is the best gun for non-gun people to have in the house?

Remember, these people will not practice with their gun.

I love pump shotguns, but to an unfamiliar user, the chance of short stroking it is quite big and therefore a liability to non-gun people.

Me, personally, I think nothing beats a double-action revolver.
It's drop safe. It has a heavy trigger. Anyone can see if it's loaded or not. It doesn't have any compressed springs. You can see the hammer. It doesn't have a safety to fumble with. It's easy, it's reliable.

What do you think?
Thanks in advance!
I'm sure this won't go over well, but if they're not gun people, they shouldn't have a gun. I think it's a recipe for someone other than the bad guy to get hurt.

Better to get them some decent pepper spray, a very bright "whack them on the head" metal flashlight, and a dog that barks.

If, sometime down the road through their association with you they become interested., then maybe a gun.