View Single Post

Old 03-10-2017, 06:36 PM

Liked 2,249 Times in 1,032 Posts

A little perspective from Grant Cunningham ... The Training Industry’s Dirty Little Secret

There is no consensus as to what constitutes relevant and adequate training. I have no idea what's available in Uruguay in terms of quality instruction, but I would guess it's fairly limited. I imagine a fairly sizable percentage of the members here have received no professional training and whose practice has been limited to self-directed static range shooting. Are they irresponsible and unsafe gun owners? Safely handling a revolver isn't exactly rocket science. And IMO, folks that are scared of guns are probably a lot safer than an over-confident individual that thinks he can't possibly ever have an unintentional discharge.

There is a fairly high probability that you might have to shoot on the move, access your weapon during a close-quarter attack in an actual defense scenario, but how many here have actually received training and practiced shooting while GOTX, extreme close-quarter tactics and weapon retention? Those who haven't received such training might be considered unsafe by those who have and labeled as someone who shouldn't carry a gun because they might hit innocent bystanders or because a bad guy might disarm them and we don't need more guns in the hands of criminals on the street. It sounds rather ridiculous, but it is really no different from some of the condescending statements it forth here.

Would these individuals actually be able to pull the trigger when the times comes? Who knows, it's extremely difficult to predict how any individual will react in a life and death crisis, but I can pretty much guarantee there are more than a few members here that couldn't pull the trigger or would completely panic and freeze, but hopefully none will ever have to find that out. Irregardless of these folks willingness to use lethal force, just the mere presentation of a gun is often enough and they deserve to have the best odds they can get.

I'm all for more training, but I know many people who own firearms and don't train and practice at all(my elderly mother for one) and I wouldn't ever say they shouldn't be allowed the means to hopefully defend themselves because their training isn't up to someone else's personal standards.

Last edited by Mister X; 03-10-2017 at 07:44 PM.