Thread: S&W 52-2
View Single Post

Old 03-11-2017, 12:50 PM

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Default S&W 52-2 new acquisition

Hello
A short presentation…
Back on early 1975 when serving in the Portuguese Army, I started shooting pistol and was lucky to obtain good results in the regional Army pistol competitions – then shooting a service Walther P38 9mm pistol.
It was a service pistol not specially prepared for competition at all and the ammunition was the service military ammo! However this gave me the opportunity to represent my “region” in the national Army matches. Still shooting the P38, I was again lucky and became one of the 5 effective members of the Army’s team!
Then things changed and the Army distributed me two real match pistols : a S&W 52-2 and a SIG P210 9mm.
Both pistols were for me the dream! Used to the P38, I could not believe what the difference was! I represented the Army against the other military and police branches ad turned out with a very honourable 6th place on the finals! For a newcomer to the sport not too bad!
My service time ended on December 75 and I had to return the pistols to the Army.
I then purchased a .22 pistol (Margolin) and a good Feinwerkbau airgun to practice and with intervals due to professional impediments never stopped shooting precision until now. In my “arsenal” I have, among other European pistols, two S&W revolvers – the classic K .22 and K .38…
42 years after the above facts, I have just been lucky to finally purchase a S&W 52-2 in almost as new condition. They are difficult to find in Europe and usually expensive, but this was a 40 years dream!!!
Members who had similar experience may understand what I feel…
The point now is whether there are good reloading solutions for this pistol/round.
I reload the .38 WC to use with the S&W revolver without any issues and very good accuracy.
But a pistol is different and the known loading issues are a fact to take in consideration.
Loaded commercial ammunition is difficult to find. So back to the reloading bench!
Any suggestion?
Thanks a lot!
The Following 3 Users Like Post: