View Single Post

Old 03-12-2017, 09:26 PM

Liked 6,317 Times in 2,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by psjoe View Post
I measured it with my calipers in several spots and got 1/8 of an inch thick, a quick google search puts that at 8 oz. How does that stack up?
Thanks -Joe
A bit thin. That's .125. A couple of later George Lawrence (late 70's) holsters I have are .175 (11 oz?). I know their vintage because I bought them new. Doesn't seem like much by the numbers but that's 40% thicker. I have a Bianchi that the base leather is .125 thick, but it has two layers of it stitched together over virtually 100% of the holster.

I have an old crossdraw for a 2" Colt DS/Cobra/Agent that I know is from the 50's as it belonged to my Grandfather-in-law. It's thinner than yours at .95, but more than half the holster is double-thickness most of which is stitched as panel for the belt loop, not a fold-over.

I'm not trying to rag on your find, just expressing an opinion based on my experience with holsters. If it works for you that's all that matters, I'm just saying I don't think this came from a name-brand maker. The thing about the high quality holsters is they'll last a lifetime. If yours seems good now by all means use it. If it starts getting soft and losing it's shape replace it.

Lord knows I have newer holsters that use thinner leather but rely on molding to make them firm. Not to mention various synthetics.

Last edited by glenwolde; 03-12-2017 at 09:38 PM. Reason: clarity
The Following 2 Users Like Post: