View Single Post

Old 03-13-2017, 09:00 AM

Liked 28,948 Times in 14,015 Posts

I have used Small Rifle primers in handgun calibers since the late 1960s and have never experienced a problem. Some years ago I did an experiment in making up identical .38 Special loads, differing only in the use of SRPs and SPPs, and firing them in my K-38 over a chronograph. No difference noted in either grouping or MV. The only caution would be that some handguns may not have enough firing pin energy for reliable ignition, so that needs to be determined. But I have not experienced that happening.

Now, to the question of why. Two reasons - first, it simplifies your component inventory if you are also reloading any cartridges using a SRP. Second, in times of panic and stress, as we went through several times during the last administration, SRPs are often more available in dealer stock than SPPs. At the very least, it provides another supply option in the event of future hoarding events.

BTW, a couple of weeks ago I got a real deal on a carton of Magnum SR primers. I loaded some up in .38 Super cases to see if there were any problems, and fired 20 rounds without any misfires. I could never see much need for MSR primers. but they must have some purpose or they wouldn't be made.

Last edited by DWalt; 03-13-2017 at 10:37 AM.
The Following User Likes This Post: