View Single Post

Old 03-13-2017, 04:06 PM

Liked 518 Times in 281 Posts
Default Well i am jumping in with both feet.K frame Diamond Targets Mod..please dont be angry

Well i want to say i hope people do not get angry with this ....but i have been wanting to do a mod like this for a while...
well i have a like new Smith model 24-3 3" Lew Horton which i love but i have not liked most grips i have had on this...Dad even took his when it was new and cut the combats...ugh...well i do not want to do that...i love any old and unloved firearm and had this crazy idea...find a set of diamond original targets and some how make them fit...i tried with the k frame diamond magna's with no love...they were just too small for my gigantic hands...well i recently got on trade a like new K22 from 1953 and with another trade i got a set of Non Relieved Diamond Targets and was working on restoring them and just had the 24-3 next to it and thought why not see what they might look like...and other than they not fitting perfect...i loved the feel and look of them...they were shorter than some of the later targets and i really liked the feel and look of them...we with that being determined...i knew that i had to find a set that i hoped was modified so i would feel guilty making work...well Wyatt Burp's sharing cemented what i was going to do....he was fortunate to have a set of Cokes...but i seen a shooter grade set of K frame Diamond Targets listed here and i will make them work....see this is what most people dont know...last year i cut thru most of my left thumb due to my stupidity and when i was on the mend...i had got another set of grips for this lew horton which were nice but did not fit...with lots of time on my hands with the injury...i took the time to figure out how to make K frame targets fit the 24-3 frame...as we all know it is a N frame gun with a Modified K frame grip...all u need to do is relieve the area of the grips behind the trigger guard to allow the grip to rotate up and fit the backstrap better and then relocate the metal washer inside to the proper placement...i will show this process once i get the new grips here...i will also remove some of the bottom thickness and get them ready for re checkering too...once i am done...other than the medallions being off centered and the filler for the round to square butt conversion..most people will not realize what i have done...many will ask..with all the grips available now for sale...why do this and ruin a great set of grips...well i wanted a better set of grips for my large hands and this is a conceal gun for me...so i need them to be a bit more compact as well...i have tried 6 sets of grips including the original combats which i love...but they are way too big...
i love the stags i currently have on it...but i have a tendency to be a bit clumsy and have damaged anything a bit fragile...so all of my stags are not on my ccws....
here is some pics of what i am thinking ..thank u for reading all of this...God Bless,John
here is pics of Wyatt's grip conversion..thank u Wyatt for the inspiration.....

here is the grips i will be doing this too...
thank u Weatherby for all the help...and the pics...

screen grab

upload pics

Last edited by jringo8769; 03-17-2017 at 08:03 AM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: