View Single Post

Old 03-13-2017, 06:26 PM

Liked 2,954 Times in 1,054 Posts

If you are only looking to improve a range gun (which a Shield really is not), the Hogue will work OK if that's what you want. The grip feels good and of course is bigger. This is good for improved grip on a single stack, but most people buy single stacks to BE thin, so why make them thick?

My experience with a few Handalls is that eventually they slip down the grip and interfere with mag insertion. Had this happen three times in different IDPA matches over a year or so before I wised up and stopped using them.

ETA: I am guilty of "smacking" my mags home in competition and self defense practice. If the Handall grip can move, and it can, it will. If you just shoot at the range and in a very deliberate and controlled manner insert your mags, the Handall will not move.

As well, for concealed carry, I found the rubber grip to be very tacky and to grab covering garments, which for me was not desirable. I also did not like the finger grooves influencing my grip.

The Talons have been great. Eventually they will start peeling. Just replace them. I don't buy the aggressive rubberized ones for the same reason as above--they can interfere with covering garments.

ETA 2: The Hogue Beavertail feature may be comfortable, but it slightly pushes your hand lower on the grip. The highest grip possible is helpful for controlling recoil flip. This is a personal comfort preference and not a big deal--just another thing to consider.

Last edited by CB3; 04-21-2017 at 03:43 PM.
The Following 9 Users Like Post: