View Single Post

Old 03-14-2017, 12:36 AM

Liked 6,618 Times in 1,830 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee's Landing Billy View Post
I am an old man and I have never understood why people are so carried away with GEL tests. What do they really think it simulates?
I have to agree. I use downed big game animals as my test medium. As soon as I arrive at a downed elk, deer, or antelope, I prop it up and test varying calibers and bullets. The results very often differ from gel. Last year I used a model 36 2" and Winchester 110 grn hollow points and 125 grn Remington Golden Sabre on a small mule deer buck that had just been hit by a car. None of the 4 bullets I fired exited the broadside ribcage shots I took. Later that year I shot a similar sized mule deer buck on the last day of season. I propped him up and used my Ruger LCP and Buffalo Bore 95 grn flat point full metal jackets. Two shots through the ribcage and one through the neck and every bullet exited and went whistling across the mountains. This was winter time and the deer had a heavy coat of fur. From the you tube videos I have not seen such performance as I experienced.