View Single Post

Old 03-14-2017, 06:31 AM

Liked 2,773 Times in 1,260 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19ontheslide View Post
My own experience with the M&P 45 Shield mimics that of outflyin. The first two or three times I shot it, I had several instances of mags dropping during firing, and the problem seemed to be worse with the extended 7 round mag than the flush-fit 6 rounder. I immediately thought to myself, "Oh, crud. I'm one of the unlucky people who got one of those MAG-DROPPING pistols!!" But then I decided to make extra double sure that it was a gun problem and not a user problem. Once I deliberately started shooting one handed and consciously keeping all digits well away from the mag release.....lo and behold, problem solved. My beloved, FLETC-inspired two hand choke hold on the gun had been inadvertently hitting the mag release, causing my problem. Now, it's important to remember that I am NOT saying that all M&P 45 Shield mag dropping issues are simply operator error; it's very possible that there are some examples out there that do need to go back in for repair/replacement. All I'm saying is that I thought for a long while that I was the recipient of one of those guns and it turns out....I wasn't. I was just running the gun incorrectly. FYI.
Maybe someone should make a low profile mag release button. Maybe flush with the grip. We seem to be seeing more than a few reports of inadvertently dropping the mag. Adjusting for it is fine but in a stressful situation it may not be the best strategy.