View Single Post

Old 03-14-2017, 09:00 AM

Liked 8,889 Times in 2,567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2C View Post
What were the makers of the .380 JHP rounds that failed to penetrate the skull? Do you know the makers of the firearms or the barrel lengths of the handguns that were involved in these shooting incidents?

Nothing is perfect as you have pointed out. One of our Crime Scene Investigators was not impressed with the .45 ACP when a subject was shot with a full size 1911 and 230g FMJ that did not penetrate the skull.
I've seen a case in which a .45 Hydra-Shok zipped around the outside of the skull.

Speaking of Hydra-Shoks, two of the inadequately penetrating .380 JHPs were those. The other was a Golden Saber from a Lorcin. I'd have to look up what the Federals came out of - and I have a lot to do today, so I doubt that's going to happen.

Here's the deal with all of these thread: The point is to pick a tool that makes you feel comfortable it'll work as needed in virtually every situation where you might need it. We don't know what you're doing or what you need - we're just a bunch of old guys jawing over coffee. You're the only one whose opinion matters.

Is the .380 cartridge underpowered? Depends on why you need it.