View Single Post

Old 03-14-2017, 09:36 AM

Liked 6,314 Times in 2,294 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwhit View Post
But most of the stores in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area will remain open. So, it seems they CAN sell guns and fishing gear to Texans, just not the ones living in Houston, Waco or Texarkana.

Also, to keep things in perspective for non-Texans, while Houston may be the largest city in Texas and fourth largest in the country, it's metropolitian area is only the fifth largest in the nation (after Dallas-Ft. Worth, which is fourth).
You are correct, if you measure by Metropolitan Statistical area. It seems odd to me that ALL the Houston stores are closing but NONE of the Dallas stores are. I'd think it would be more evenly dispersed, closing a few stores in each market. Is Houston that much more competitive than Dallas?

Surely there must be as many Academy's in Dallas as Houston. Houston does have Carter's Country (of "Fast and Furious" fame) which moves a lot of guns through their four locations. I don't know of a multi-location independent in Dallas but hard to believe that's what did Gander Mountain in. There seems to be plenty of one-location independent stores in each city. In the Big Box stores each city has two Bass Pro's, Dallas has two Cabela's and Houston only one.

Just struck me as very odd. It probably is really for a reason other than firearms sales of course. They sell other lines.

It might have nothing to do with the relative sales between the two cities at all and have more to do with getting out of their real estate obligations or some other business reason.