View Single Post

Old 03-14-2017, 01:47 PM
US Veteran

Liked 544 Times in 226 Posts

I don't know how serious this thread is...but if you're truly trying to decide between the 2, or ANY choices on daily carry, one can't truly offer an opinion until certain other factors are known.

Since you're even asking the question in the first place, I'll go ahead and jump to the conclusion that you're large enough to carry (and conceal?) the .500, and capable of shooting it with some degree of proficiency.

So, with that out of the way...where will you be carrying this? I mean, are you an urban-dweller, just going about a daily routine of commute, work, lunch, work, retail shop, restaurant, home, etc? If so, I can't really imagine why you'd want to consider the .500. If for no other reason, over-penetration would be a major concern, I would think. So...given only those 2 choices, in that situation I'd vote for .22. However, a better choice in this instance (given that size and recoil must not be an issue!) would be...almost anything! A quality .380, 9mm, .40, 10mm, .45, .38, .357, .44, etc...would surely fit the bill.

If, on the other hand, you experience daily forays into the wilderness, and have a possibility of running across bear or other large dangerous critters...then I could understand the .500. Though I'm not sure, were this the case, why you'd be toying with the notion of a .22. Unless you have a coworker/partner, and the .22 is to "kneecap" them, to keep the bear occupied while you beat feet!

And if your daily travels have you coming & going back and forth from urban to rural, where the threat could range the gamut...I'd still say go with something more of a .40, 10mm, .45, .357, .41 or .44. For instance, if I were looking for a CC piece that would serve me well if there was a chance of a bear encounter, I'd consider something along the lines of a 329PD.

Tim

Last edited by Bullzaye; 03-14-2017 at 01:50 PM.