Thread: 686 Target Load
View Single Post

Old 03-14-2017, 04:06 PM

Liked 33 Times in 16 Posts
Default 686 Target Load

Just bought a 686-4 and want to develop a 38 Special target load for it. My first priority is accuracy out to 25 yards, second is easy barrel cleaning, and third is low recoil.

I've loaded many thousands of 45 ACP LSWC at about 750 FPS, leading with that load in my 1911 is minimal. I've also loaded a few thousand 45 ACP Poly coated bullets that caused excessive barrel leading and polymer deposits. Due to the effort needed to clean the barrel I think I'm done with the coated bullets.

The vendor I used for 45 LSWC bullets doesn't have .358 diameter so I've looked for information on Bayou, Missouri, and Zero lead bullets. I don't really have a preference on bullet profile except where it may effect accuracy.

I understand the need to use bullets of the correct diameter for proper barrel fit, so I'm wondering if there's any consensus on which of the bullets mentioned above is best for accuracy and minimal leading. Also is there a consensus on the best velocity range for accuracy and minimal leading using a 158 grain lead bullet in a 4" 686?

Thanks,
Brad