View Single Post

Old 03-14-2017, 05:51 PM

Liked 10,629 Times in 2,998 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlighting View Post
I've been running in my semi-auto Thunderbolts and Golden Bullets for the last few weeks and find about 1 out of 15-20 rounds are ftf. Is this normal? What's your experience?
You don't say what kind of gun you are shooting, but that's a too-high rate of failures. I haven't shot Thunderbolts in a while because I've read enough complaints about them to convince me not to shoot them. However, the gun can also play a role in such failures. My ancient (1938) H&R Expert target revolver will fire anything. My semi-ancient (1974) Ruger Standard has been much more picky about ammo. Until I sent it back to the factory for an overhaul (new ejector and extractor), it would reliably fire only higher-velocity rounds, 1300 fps (feet per second for BB57 ) or faster. After the overhaul, it's now as reliable as my H&R. Check your gun to make sure all systems are working properly.

As to the ammo I do shoot, I've found CCI Mini-Mags to be the best of the mass-produced readily available .22lr cartridges. However, my absolute favorites are CCI Stingers. They are easily the most accurate rounds I shoot from my Ruger, possibly due to their 1600+ fps velocities. They also make a really cool muzzle flash. The downside is that they're expensive and sometimes hard to find.