View Single Post

Old 03-14-2017, 07:52 PM

Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Default MODEL 617 CYLINDER AND TRIGGER LOCKING UP

The cylinder in this 617-1 revolver frequently locks up rotationally, usually within the first 30 rounds after starting a new shooting session with a freshly cleaned gun. When this occurs the cylinder is also difficult to swing open and close. I've made sure that there was no residue behind the extractor star and also made sure that the extractor rod is tight. The gap between the forcing cone and the cylinder is more than .004 and the head space behind the cylinder is ample. I sent it to S&W and received the gun back with paperwork stating that they were unable to repeat the problem and made no repairs. After receiving the gun back from S&W I went back to the range and the problem occurred during the first 6 rounds and repeated again after 15 or 20 rounds. After that the problem seemed to stop. This has occurred with both Federal bulk ammo and CCI Mini mags. Another aspect of this gun is that it doesn't have the 2 small extractor dowel pins in the cylinder that locates the extractor star in position with the cylinder. This must be about the time that S&W discontinued them. This revolver was manufactured about 1995. I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar experience. I will be grateful for any help.
S.K.