View Single Post

Old 03-14-2017, 09:48 PM

Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Default 2nd snapped firing pin for my M&P Bodyguard 380

I'M LOSING CONFIDENCE IN MY M&P BODYGUARD 380.

I purchased one about a year and a half ago. I really like it for a lot of reasons, but it seems to have a reoccurring issue.

A day or two after I brought it home, I tried removing the factory sights but they were pressed in too tight, and after smacking it with a hammer and brass punch didn't work, I brought it to a gunsmith who installed new sights. When I got it home, the back of the firing pin fell out when I went to strip the gun. Apparently it just snapped off. I sent it to Smith and they returned it in two weeks later no problem. I figured it was a fluke and their customer service was excellent so I didn't really think much about it.

Since there was no explanation as to why it broke, I figured I better buy some snap caps for this gun (which I did).

A year and a half later the firing pin breaks off again (snapping in the exact same place). I took pictures including ones of my snap caps so they'd no I wasn't dry firing it without them. I would imagine dry firing would be bad for the tip and not the back of the firing pin, but I just wanted to remove any variables on my end just in case. To be honest, this gun hasn't been fired much either, though I have dry fired it with snap caps quite a bit.

Is this because the firing pin is a MIM part? If it is, Smith & Wesson, please change this!

Has this been a common problem? I've had lots of guns in for service (Glocks, other S&W M&Ps, FN FNS, XDs, etc...); I've never had something like this before, and it's failed twice now.

I don't know if this is a design issue or a quality control issue but I feel like selling the gun now but I really don't want to.