Thread: Porting
View Single Post

Old 03-15-2017, 04:01 AM

Liked 26,346 Times in 9,132 Posts

I have a few Mag-Na-Ported guns, and we will stick to the hand guns. My first was a 28-2 357mag 4" that was finely tuned and ported when I bought it. The hottest 180 grain 357 load you would run in an N-frame has the felt recoil of 38 target wadcutters in a K-frame!

I had a Super-14 inch 44mag contender barrel Mag-Na-Ported. I shot loads in it that would destroy a model 29! They were well beyond Super Blackhawk only loads. The porting made it so I could hold on to the hand cannon, That allowed 330 grain bullets to make small groups at sizable distance!

I had picked up a Springfield 1911 factory compensated gun several years ago, and sold it 3 years ago. It gave me more flash, more noise, and very limited recoil reduction. But the rules in competition changed almost every year back then and after it was "outlawed" it was very inexpensive.

I have hunting rifle that are Mag-Na-Ported also. For target use there are much better systems for recoil reduction. But for light weight rifle shooting offhand snap shots at 400 yards, they delay the muzzle climb long enough that I could make shots as if from a BR gun. However it DID NOT reduce recoil, it maybe increased felt recoil, but the rifle became more stable!

This system has a very good use, but it is expensive ($165 in 1984 for rifles) and is limited in purpose.

Ivan
The Following User Likes This Post: