View Single Post

Old 03-15-2017, 04:10 PM

Liked 785 Times in 356 Posts
Default S&W Shield No. 3

Added a 3rd Shield to the stable, this time a Performance Center 9mm. I thought about waiting until the Shield M2.0 comes into existence, but this way I can eventually own 4 Shields. As far as I know no one has ever died because they owned to many Smith & Wessons. And if they have that's not a bad way to go.

You can read and watch reviews all over the net so I will keep this short and sweet. I had my LGS pull out a bone stock standard Shield 9mm and two different PC series Shields. I brought a long my trusty Lyman digital trigger pull gauge as well. The bone stock gun came in at (averaging 3 pulls) 6lbs 11oz, the first PC Shield came in at 5lbs 13oz and the second PC Shield came in at 5lbs 10oz. I bought the one with the lightest factory trigger. In comparison my two Apex equipped Shields (DCAEK and metal triggers) comes in at 4lbs 15oz and 5lbz 1oz respectively.

I intended to immediately pull and sell the fiber optic sights, as I always put 10-8 rears and Ameriglo fronts on my Smiths. But after handling it in the my office for awhile I decided that I kind of like them. I might just leave them on for awhile and make a few trips to the range. Who knows, they may just stay on permanently. Tritium is really less important (IMO) than a good flashlight anyway.

I am not worried at all about the porting because 99.9% of the fear mongering you read on the net about the evils of ported guns comes from keyboard commandos who have never actually touched a ported gun in their lives. Plus I am willing to actively work on not holding a port directly to my eyeball when shooting in total darkness (presumably underground while hunting CHUD). In my experience porting does however give you a 'just noticeable' reduction in muzzle flip and that's pretty much all it does.

I need to get in some range time with this little gun before it enters the carry rotation, but at this point I see it taking a place somewhere near the head of the line.
The Following 7 Users Like Post: