Thread: 617 .22 lr
View Single Post

Old 03-15-2017, 05:48 PM

Liked 12,653 Times in 3,370 Posts

First let me say welcome to the forum.

Second let me also say that I'm sorry your 617 has issues.

----

Problems with new S&Ws are not common but they do happen. As noted above, call S&W (don't e-email they never seem to respond to those) and talk to them about the problems you are having. They'll most likely give you a return authorization and send you a pre-paid shipping label to return it. You can send it back in the box it came in, I just recommend placing that box inside another box, or at least taking a larger box and cutting it down to fit over the one it came in. More protection, less obvious it has a handgun in it.

Once S&W has fixed the problem, provided it did not require a new frame or new revolver, they'll send it directly back to you. If it did require a new frame or replacement revolver, they'll have to ship it to an FFL, but they should cover the transfer fee, if any. If it's an S&W dealer, no fee should be involved.

As for some of the posts in your thread...let me apologize for some of what's been said or implied.

When problems happen to a new S&W owner, it's not uncommon for the new owner to search for a Smith and Wesson internet forum and, for obvious reasons, find this one. If they are familiar with forum searches, they then do a search for threads by other people who have similar problems. When they find them, they then often post in that thread and in the process resurrect a zombie thread.

I'd argue there is actually nothing wrong with that. It's what the search function is for, and why re-invent the wheel, right? Other people probably feel differently. I try not to judge.

There are sometimes a few folks who don't look at it from the perspective of someone who just put down hard earned money to bring home a new S&W that doesn't work. They might even be some what offended and see it as an indictment against a brand they like a lot - and then, perhaps understandably, get a little short or snarky in their responses.

The important thing is not to let it bother you and don't take it personally as some folks will write things on a forum that they'd never say in person in the polite company of others. It shouldn't be that way but sometimes it happens.

Again, please accept an apology. This forum is actually a nice, friendly and helpful place and the very few folks who might make it seem differently at times are a very, very small minority. Feel free to ignore them.

Let us know how it shoots once S&W makes it right.
The Following 26 Users Like Post: