View Single Post

Old 03-16-2017, 08:53 AM

Liked 35 Times in 8 Posts

For the sake of future reference, in case someone should want to wander down the same path, I'll describe what I learned from this thread, and how I used it.

I needed a K-frame, and the candidates were 14,15,17 and 19.
I learned that the rimfire 17 was a bad idea because of the lockwork/differences between rim/centrefire setup.

The frame of a K has two different topstraps, depending on the barrel diameter. Most 14s and 15s have a narrow barrel, and thus the top strap is scalloped to meet the narrow barrel.

(The obvious exception is full-lug 14's, but these are almost as rare as models 16's. The one linked above is the only one I've seen i 6 months, and it was $300 more expensive than the 19 I bought)

This leaves us with the model 19, or accepting that the top strap profile and barrrel profile do not match.

Then I learned from tennexplorer that most 19s have a recessed cylinder, which requires a change of the frame lug to match the non-recessed M16 cylinder. I actually found a non-recessed 19, finally, but that was after I'd bought the 1st m19.

Since I had access to the 16 frame with frame lug, I knocked it out and used it on the 19, with good result.

In summary:
14: Mismatched barrel profile, unless you start with a full lug.
15: As the 14
17: No good since it's rimfire
19: Barrel profile match, frame lug mismatch, unless you find a non-recessed 19.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: