Thread: M58 TWO-TONE
View Single Post

Old 03-16-2017, 10:32 AM
US Veteran

Liked 1,549 Times in 556 Posts

I, too, seriously doubt that the M58 was an ISSUED revolver. However, that's not to say that it wasn't a personal weapon that had been carried by the individual off-duty, after retirement, or, as I've seen before, after taking another position in law enforcement after leaving the one previous.

I have personal experience with one such ex-Secret Service officer who took the position of Police Chief in a nearby small town. This town stages an annual celebration each summer and is usually flooded by a large turnout. I, and a friend who owned a gun shop (former Air Force Security and currently a county sheriff trainer), were recruited by this Chief for crowd and traffic control because we both rode motorcycles, which he thought would be a great idea because of mobility. We did a mini-seminar about what our duties would be, had to qualify on the range, etc., and were given badges for the three-day event. Oddly enough, I carried a blued M58 while carrying out my unpaid, voluntary duties. Anyway, the Chief was somewhat of a cowboy, and definitely did not carry what might be considered an "issue" weapon. I don't know exactly what it was, other than a 4" N-frame Smith magnum...

In any case, the 2-tone M58 appears to be in decent shape, judging by photos. I am going to meet with him tomorrow and will probably make the deal. I'll post pictures if I acquire it.