View Single Post

Old 03-16-2017, 11:30 AM
SWCA Member
Absent Comrade

Liked 5,070 Times in 2,660 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockquarry View Post
I realize magnum primers are often recommended for use with HS-6 and they may work best for your situation. I use only cast bullets in handgun loads. The limited comparisons using standard CCI versus magnum CCI that I've done with HS-6 in .44 Special loads has shown no difference. That could change with .44 magnum and heavier loads.

However, if you have standard and magnum primers, try both. I've used HS-6 for a good while. Much like Power Pistol, it seems to be a good powder in specialized applications. It's not a particularly versatile propellant, but it probably wasn't designed for that purpose.
Unless you have a chronograph you can't say using a magnum primer makes no difference. With standard primers the ES and SD numbers are high and most times shrink to single digits with magnum primers. It is more noticeable with lighter loads since HS-6 performers better at the top end of the pressure range.

This is why when we want to produce a midrange load we go to a faster powder instead of lightening up the slow powder load. We can achieve our goal but keep the pressures up insuring a cleaner burn. Most powders will perform better at the top end of the pressure range.
SWCA #3437
The Following User Likes This Post: