Thread: 617 .22 lr
View Single Post

Old 03-16-2017, 12:23 PM

Liked 12,553 Times in 3,342 Posts

I can't speak to the 617, but I have noted that my Model 17 can have cases that are harder to eject than .38 +P brass is in my Model 66 or Model 19. That's interesting given the far smaller surface area of the six .22 LR cases, compared to six .38's. It's stiff enough at times that the FBI reload just won't work and I've reverted to the Stress Fire method to eject the empties.

I've also noted that a buildup of powder residue under the ejector star is uncommon in the center fire calibers. If it happens it's with colloidal ball powders where the larger unburnt or partially burnt powder grains are large enough to immediately prevent the cylinder from going back in the frame.

In contrast, it is a potential issue with some types of .22 LR ammo, where the powder residue builds up under the star and starts to cause the star to bind against the recoil shield, making it nautically harder to close the cylinder.

Since I tend to shoot a couple hundred rounds per range session, I'ver started taking a plastic cleaning brush to clean the surfaces between the star and the cylinder every 50 rounds or so.
The Following User Likes This Post: