View Single Post

Old 03-16-2017, 02:06 PM
US Veteran

Liked 2,660 Times in 1,302 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by American1776 View Post
Since the late 1980's, the per capita rate of violent crime in the US has been steadily and significantly dropping. Generally speaking, we are living in some of the *safest* times in our country's history. 50 percent of all the US counties average zero murders any given year. 25 percent of the counties average only 1 murder per year. 70 percent of all the homicides in this country occur in only 3 percent of the counties. The US is a very safe place to live.

That said, I carry because doing so is an expression of my Natural Right, enumerated in the US Constitution and outlined by the natural rights / social contract theory of John Locke. The lawful defense of self and those under the mantel of my protection is my responsibility alone.

I carry a gun so that I do not have to be at the mercy of those who would wish to do me harm.
One stat you left out is -- what is the population for those counties that are in the 3% you mention ?? You say the US is a very safe place to live .. but do the people actually live in those safe places ..

Counties in and around Chicago have millions of inhabitants while counties in southern Illinois can have less then just a couple of thousand .. counties in the northern plain states may have just a few hundred living in them ..