View Single Post

Old 03-16-2017, 07:07 PM

Liked 3,903 Times in 1,519 Posts

Folks want the bullet that expands the most, but most do not recognize that adequate penetration is paramount and top priority! Without that, nothing works well! Yes, over penetration can and does happen, but in my experience not nearly as often as inadequate pentration. There is a lot to be said for a flat nosed semi wadcutter shaped bullet.

Of course, nothing works well unless the bullet strikes a primary target, and even when it does, it can take 15 or more seconds before the target realizes that it's dead! The target can shoot off lots of rounds in 15 seconds!! There is just flat no telling what will happen when a target is stuck by a bullet. That's why it is my fervent intention that there will be bullets to follow hard on the heels of my first shot. Bullets that strike a body less than an inch apart can have very different results, depending on what each of them must negotiate along the way through. And, yes, I want them to hit where I intend for them to hit for the best possible outcome.

But I want every cartridge loaded into my gun to go bang in its turn, and feed when it is supposed to feed and eject when it is supposed to eject if the gun is a semi auto. In other words, I intend to carry a gun that works!! Then I want the bullet to go deep into the target, regardless of what ever it may strike along the way to where those vital parts are found. And frankly, I do not care if that bullet eventually exits on the other side. I care very much if the bullet does not strike my target at all!!! Those are the dangerous ones that bring the most liability! Not that a through and through cannot cause serious damage, but generally nothing at all like a bullet that has not passed through something before it strikes. All shootings are in a sense **** shoots! All we can do is the best we can do as long as we can do it and hope for the best. We must have good equipment, good training won't hurt a thing, and a quality bullet is a plus. But any bullet from any gun that penetrates sufficiently and strikes something important for continued bodily function will eventually do it's job. Sometimes instantly, and sometimes after the fact. There are NO guarantees! There are too many variables involved. But we can still tilt the odds in our favor. That's another story, but I believe what I have stated above is a fairly correct assessment of the situation. At least, it is for me personally. You take it for what it might be worth.

Last edited by kthom; 03-16-2017 at 07:11 PM.