View Single Post

Old 03-16-2017, 08:22 PM

Liked 9,019 Times in 3,193 Posts
Default New headstamp, same junk brass.

Today I went to the range to put some rounds downrange and had a good time. After shooting, I went around looking to scrounge up some brass and ran across some new to me 9 MM nickel plated brass with a headstamp of "Maxxtech". When I picked it up it felt funny and when I looked inside I saw the same stepped or shouldered inside just like that Ammoload junk that has been on the market for a few years now. The bottom part might even be thicker than the Ammoload brass, but I'm not sure because I haven't seen that junk around for over a year. I definitely wouldn't try reloading this junk though, as I figure it would come apart right at the junction of the thick part and the thin part meet and leave a 1/4" ring of brass in the chamber.

This brass is noticeably heavier than normal 9 MM brass. I weighed the 4 cases I found at the range and they averaged around 75-76 grains. Normal 9 MM brass weighed around 60 grains and you can feel the difference when you pick it up. The case thickness in the mouth shows around 8 thousandths and the thick part of the case shows around 45 thousandths by my dial calipers.

Just posting this up for everyone to keep an eye out for this crud.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: