View Single Post

Old 03-16-2017, 11:03 PM

Liked 7,746 Times in 2,127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelgun610 View Post
I never gave much thought to the term "field holster" actually applying to any specific style of holster. I've always considered it to be more of a blanket term to describe any holster one might use in "the field". I suppose it would be akin to gun descriptions that are sometimes referred to as "field grade" or "presentation grade", etc., etc....

Mark
You've got it right there :-). A field holster is something set up ("rigged" it used to be called) to be worn outside for rough duty; and has a belt attachment for a wide belt, a strap or flap, full coverage for the gun (more with a flap), thick leather, overall a bit heavy, angle is usually vertical, balance is below the belt, etc.). A concealable has entirely different specs you'd agreed; a uniform holster much narrower ones (carry angle becomes important, for example); military even narrower.

"Back in the day", if one wanted to 'splain these things over the phone, we'd have called it a Hunter-type holster. It was decades before I learnt that they originated with Heiser and were made by others (other than Hunter) after the 1960s. Always associated with being "cheap and cheerful" and easy to make, cheap to buy, simple to use.