View Single Post

Old 03-16-2017, 11:29 PM

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContinentalOp View Post
I'm reading Protect Yourself With Your Snubnose Revolver right now. I think it's pretty good for someone new to snubnose revolvers. He does a good job of breaking down the skills needed, as well as addressing the weaknesses and strengths of the snub. The drills he provides are pretty good, imo. I'll likely be introducing some of them into my own practice regimen.

I don't have Defensive Pistol Fundamentals, so I can't comment on any overlap.

I do have his book, Gun Digest Book of the Revolver. I highly recommend it for people new to revolvers. He covers some fundamentals, but I like it mostly for the maintenance section. I pretty much follow his recommended cleaning and maintenance procedures.

Also, if you haven't checked it out, Cunningham's blog has a lot of good information, too, and not just regarding revolvers.

Michael deBethencourt's pamphlet is a good read, too. He has a blog at snubtraining.com with lots of good information. FWIW, I use his revolver reloading method.

Another book I often recommend is Ed Lovette's The Snubby Revolver. If you don't know who he is, his background includes service as a US Army Special Forces Officer, police officer/firearms instructor (I believe with a state highway patrol agency, but I can't remember off the top of my head), and CIA paramilitary officer. He includes a lot of case studies as well as his own experience in using the snub revolver. However, there is a section where he writes favorably about exotic ammo, like Magsafe, where I disagree with him. Other than that, it's an excellent read. I've read and re-read it a few times. In fact, I may be due for another re-read soon.

Lovette also co-wrote a book with Dave Spaulding called Defensive Living that covers more generalized personal security information.
Thank you for the feedback!

Yes, I’ve done a lot of reading over at both Cunningham’s and de Bethencourt's websites. And I ordered de Bethencourt's booklet a few days ago.

I’ve also done hours of searching/reading on this S&W forum and found a wealth of information. Lots of great folks here (such as yourself) willing to share their knowledge and experience.

Here’s another good website: http://www.snubnose.info/

I’ve seen that Lovette book recommended before, but it looks like the last time it was updated was about 10 years ago. So I wasn’t sure how current it would be. I realize that a great deal of the content would still be relevant, but was concerned that it might be a bit dated when it comes to discussing current bullet technology, accessories, specific guns and their availability, etc.

I’ll probably start with Grant’s new book and then move on to the others.

And as for cleaning/maintenance...at least for now, I'm just keeping it as basic and simple as possible using Hickok45's method: