View Single Post

Old 03-16-2017, 11:49 PM

Liked 3,903 Times in 1,519 Posts

Lovette's book is an old issue, but it is a very interesting read (to me!) and it contains a lot of very good fundamental information that is presented by a man who has served in many very serious situations and conditions. As result of his experiences, the book also contains much information about the things the man behind the gun needs to recognize, understand, and be prepared to do. I don't think you would find reading it any kind of a waste of time. There is a great deal contained in the book to profit from.

I happen to have shared some personal experiences with Mr. Lovette when he was a relatively young man employed as an instructor the the State of New Mexico Law Enforcement Academy located in Santa Fe, NM. NM had recently passed a requirement that all law enforcement officers in NM would receive a qualification and certification course of instruction within a year's period of time in order to serve in any capacity for any agency, and all new hires were also required to become certified within a year of being hired. Mr. Lovette was hired to be one of the instructors in this Academy.

In the beginning, the certification course was a three week period of study and training. That's not much, but it was a huge step in the advancement of officer training in the State. At the time, the only agencies that had a training academy and serious entrance requirements were the Albuquerque Police Department and the New Mexico State Police. The NMSP academy was a three month very intense period of training, with the most stringent entrance requirements in the State. It only occurred once during each year, where as the training sessions for all other agency officers were conducted year round in order to get all sworn officers certified as quickly as possible. I spent two weeks each year instructing firearms in the NMSP academy each year, and got fairly well acquainted with Mr. Lovetter during the times we were there since both academies shared the same facilities. I developed a good deal of respect for him during those times. He went on to bigger and better things, including service in more than one Federal Government agency that included serious work in the Intelligence community in many countries. He has a great love for the .38 Special snub nosed revolver, and carried one in serious harm's way instead of the weapon he was issued to carry. I would say he is an author who has been there and done that, which makes his book about the .38 Special Snubbies a very interesting read. That's the best book report I can give you on his book.

I have always found Grant Cunningham to be a man that seems to have a good deal of common sense with strong opinions about what works. He is also a man who will change his mind about what is best when evidence is encountered to show him new things that are indeed better, or at least which are worthy of consideration. I've read a good bit of his stuff, but not his latest book, so I can't comment or compare it with previous stuff. I would say any of his writing is worth taking the time to read. These are just my personal thoughts about these things, for whatever they might be worth. I have certainly profited from the writings of both men.

Last edited by kthom; 03-16-2017 at 11:54 PM.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: