View Single Post

Old 03-17-2017, 10:33 AM

Liked 17,168 Times in 5,621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevens View Post
Tom S., with genuine respect -- I will have to strenuously disagree with you on two points. First is that the exhorbitant asking prices appear and never sell. On this, there literally exists -one- example, that is a 952-2 Long Slide and actually that particular one has sat for a full TWO years. My point is that this is one outlying example and that every other one (and I do literally mean EVERY other one) sells. They do, absolutely every one of them sells.

The other point about the missing original box, I'm sorry, this is also simply not accurate. It may upset the "ugh, guns were meant to be shot, not hidden away" crowd but demonstrated fact says on the 952 (and other 5-6" target PC guns), these facts rule the day.

I will admit that I am an addicted student of the S&W market on Gunbroker, I watch it daily and I have learned a lot about the PC market.

There exists no larger, more active and more energetic market for S&W PC pistols than Gunbroker, not anywhere.

To the subject pistol--
With no box and original goodies but appearing unfired, a legitimate low-end on Gunbroker is $1,900-$2,000. High end is simply subject to the day and the wallets of the bidders. Missing the original stuff, I see a top-end on Gunbroker around $2,400-$2,500.

There are some keys to getting high-end on S&W PC pistols on Gunbroker. Beyond the pistol itself and it's condition, the top "money-getter" is having a reputable, high feedback and long-established seller hosting the auction. Item 2 on the list is piles of extremely good pictures from every angle that show condition as best as you possibly can.

I'm living a charmed life, I am up to six of these PC pistols and for the hater crowd, only ONE of them is a safe queen.
You've reinforced my point. That one outlying gun could cause someone to believe theirs was worth a similar amount, especially if they are unfamiliar with the variations and what makes them more (or less) valuable.

And by your own admission, lack of box may/will effect the collector. Perhaps when I've got some free time, I'll go back and compare prices of like models with those that had boxes vs those that did not.

For the OP, the best bet would be to look at closed sales and see what going prices were for similar 952's, then price theirs accordingly - and hope two collectors get caught up in a bidding war.